Direct from an 8-month sell out season in Berlin, Australia’s CIRCA embark on a 12-week, 23-venue national tour from 25 April to 16 July
In high demand, Brisbane-based CIRCA have toured extensively internationally since 2006, touring to 22 countries across five continents and performing to over 500,000 people. In 2011, CIRCA introduced a second full-time ensemble of 7 performers to meet the international demand for their work. Despite this success, this will be their first national tour of Australia.
Hailed worldwide as a dynamic force in new circus, Artistic Director Yaron Lifschitz attributes the company’s success to the extraordinary skills of its performers and the unique style of CIRCA’s work. “Most new circus is adding theatre and dance to circus, where as we do the opposite. We strip it back and find new emotional landscapes inside what is generally considered to be a spectacle.” Without the ‘hoopla’ normally associated with the circus, these highly individual performers establish an intimate connection with the audience, magnifying the impact of their death defying acts and giving the work its universal appeal.
Created by Yaron and the ensemble, the self-titled CIRCA is a large-scale creation for 7 performers, remixed from three of the Company’s most acclaimed works. Over 75 intense minutes, the performers move from highly connected acrobatic and tumbling sequences, through fast-paced intricate scenes through to the hauntingly beautiful finale. CIRCA has toured to Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands, UK, USA, Spain and Buenos Aires and throughout Queensland.
This national tour of CIRCA is toured by Performing Lines for Road Work, a consortium of 11 regional venues established to develop opportunities for regional audiences to engage with a broad spectrum of high quality, original work. An additional 12 venues joined the tour from across the country to make this an extensive national tour, travelling from Port Hedland to Port Pirie, Hobart to the Gold Coast.
Yaron Lifschitz is a graduate of UNSW, University of Queensland and NIDA, where he was the youngest director ever accepted into its prestigious graduate director’s course. He has directed over 50 productions including mainstage theatre, physical theatre, large scale events and opera. He became Artistic Director/CEO of Rock ‘n’ Roll Circus in 1999. The company was renamed CIRCA in 2004.
CIRCA Tour Info
Created by Yaron Lifschitz and the CIRCA Ensemble Artistic Director Yaron Lifschitz
Associate Director Ben Knapton Producer Danielle Kellie Lighting Design Jason Organ
Costume Design Libby McDonnell Performed by Nathan Boyle, Jessica Connell, Daniel Crisp, Jarred Dewey, Todd Kilby, Alice Muntz and Brittanie Portelli.
- 26 Apr Matt Dann Cultural Centre, Port Hedland
- 28 Apr Walkington Theatre, Karratha
- 1 May Carnarvon Civic Centre
- 4-5 May Mandurah Performing Arts Centre
- 9 May Albany Entertainment Centre
- 11 May Esperance Civic Centre
- 15-19 May Adelaide Festival Centre
- 22 May Nautilus Theatre, Port Lincoln
- 24 May Middleback Theatre, Whyalla
- 26 May Northern Festival Centre, Port Pirie
- 29 May – 10 June Malthouse Theatre, Melbourne
- 12 Jun Frankston Arts Centre
- 14 Jun Portland Civic Hall
- 16 & 18 June The Capital, Bendigo
- 20 Jun Wangaratta PAC
- 22-23 June Riverlinks Eastbank Centre, Shepparton
- 26 Jun Wagga Wagga Civic Theatre
- 28 June Orange Civic Theatre
- 29 Jun Bathurst Memorial Entertainment Centre
- 04 Jul NORPA Lismore City Hall
- 6-7 July Jetty Theatre Coffs Harbour
- 3 Jul The Arts Centre, Gold Coast
- 11-14 July Theatre Royal, Hobart
Toured by Performing Lines for Road Work, with the support of the Australian Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body and the national performing arts touring program, Playing Australia, and the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland.